Thursday, August 17, 2017

Burp Cloths Tutorial


Hello Everyone:
Anita here with a tutorial to make these adorable burp cloths.  Someone dear to me is going to be a grandmother in the next four months and they just found out that the baby is a boy so I was inspired to make these burp cloths.  Did you know that in addition to creating for Echo Park and her own cut files, Lori also designs fabric?  I used a layer cake called Fine and Dandy and comes in a 10" square pack and I also used a print from her Oh Boy collection for my elephant.

The cut files that I used are called:
Baby Boy Onesie Card                                    In Lori's store                                      in the Silhouette store
Baby Elephant                                                In Lori's store                                        in the Silhouette store
A2 Baby Bottle Shaped Card                        In Lori's store                                       in the Silhouette store
Lion                                                                                                                                    in the Silhouette store
The are the materials that you will need to make this project.  I used Heat N Bond Lite and of course Lori's awesome fabric.  I also used my Silhouette Cameo and the fabric blade to cut the fabric.  I used the Cricut Strong Grip mat which comes in their multi pack and a brayer.

I used my cutting mat to organize my cut shapes.  I decided which fabrics I wanted to use for which parts and then put them together on a mat to determine the size of fabric and Heat N Bond I needed to complete my project.  I grouped the shapes together and then figured out the dimensions to cut my interfacing.  I cut that first and then labeled it, including any directional hints to pay attention to.

Here are two that are ready to go.  The onesie has a directional arrow and the elephant didn't.  I then ironed on the interfacing and cut around the fabric leaving a 1/4" border on all sides.  To prepare your fabric to cut, you should peel off the paper backing from the interfacing and place it with the fabric up on your mat.  Then use your  brayer and on a flat surface make sure that the fabric is well adhered.  I set my Silhouette to thin cotton fabric and a blade depth of 3.  The more fabric you cut at one time, the greater the likelihood that you might have to increase the blade depth.

Here is what it looks like after it was cut.
Once everything was all cut I pressed the burp cloths and without steam adhered the pieces that I had cut out for each design.  Next I headed to my sewing machine to use a blanket stitch to adhere the fabric down to make sure that it could stand up to the many washes that I am expecting them to undergo.




There you have it.  There are so many cute burp cloths out there and you can also use the thick Gerber cloth diapers to delight new parents.  Lori has so many wonderful baby cut files to choose from.  Be sure to check out her store for these and many more awesome files.
Hugs,

No comments: